Digital Equity Pooled Fund
Housed at the Michelson 20MM Foundation, the digital equity pooled fund is a collaboration between multiple funders who are focused on advancing digital equity in California.
Our fund aims to ensure that equity is at the forefront of how broadband infrastructure dollars are spent in California by ensuring digital equity advocates, communities most affected by the digital divide, and local leaders, can make their voices heard in critical regulatory processes at the state and federal levels.
The knowledge gap for digital equity advocates, municipalities, and counties
Philanthropy in support of systemic change
Progress toward digital equity via technical assistance
Digital inequity impacts individual’s ability to access education, healthcare, search/apply for jobs and meaningfully participate in our democracy.
The Public Policy Institute of California reported that Black, Latinx, rural, and low-income California households are disproportionately disconnected from the internet.
Of low-income U.S. households with children in K-12 do not have access to broadband.
According to the FCC, more than 21 million people in the US are unable to access broadband with acceptable download speeds. This number is as high as 42 million people.
- Bridge the knowledge gap for digital equity advocates, local municipalities and counties
- Providing both content and availability for 1:1 technical assistance for equity advocates and local leaders.
- Sustain progress made on digital equity policy in California
- Institutionalize support of sustained community engagement at the CPUC on broadband, digital literacy, and beyond.
- Build the capacity of local grassroots organizations to engage on digital equity issues.
- Foster philanthropic affinity groups, creating space to educate philanthropy on opportunities to support systems change strategies.
For more information about our Digital Equity Initiative, sign up for our newsletter or reach out to Senior Program Manager Miguel Leon at email@example.com.
You can also join the California Alliance for Digital Equity (CADE), a dedicated group of local and statewide advocates focused on all forms of digital equity, from device acquisition to broadband access to digital literacy.
Sign up for notifications, workshops, briefings, or schedule a 30-minute call with one of our partners.
DE Pooled Fund
Interested in learning more about our Digital Equity efforts? Get in touch with Senior Program Manager Miguel Leon.