Image credit: Project Rebound California State University, Fullerton; Cypress College, Liberated Intellects for Excellence (LIFE) Program; and Rising Scholars, Mt. San Antonio College. Michelson 20MM is a private, nonprofit foundation seeking to accelerate progress towards a more just world through grantmaking, operating programs, and impact investing. Co-chaired and funded by Alya and Gary Michelson, Michelson 20MM is part of the Michelson Philanthropies network of foundations.
California’s Best Practices for Students Transitioning From Prison to Campus
January 18, 2023 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 amFree
Wednesday, January 18, 2023 | 10:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m. PST
Register for the event
Incarcerated students are faced with what seem to be endless barriers as they seek to continue their education on-campus post-reentry. Although research shows that the odds of re-entering prison are 48 percent lower for those who take part in post-secondary education programs, ample opportunities still exist to expand educational opportunities and ensure justice-impacted scholars have the tools needed to succeed on-campus. It’s one thing to obtain or work towards a degree while in prison where the resources go directly inside, but what happens upon release? How do these students stay connected to their respective educational institutions?
Join us on January 18, 2023, to delve into the answers to these questions and more as we discuss California’s Best Practices for Students Transitioning From Prison to Campus. During the event, directly impacted leaders will explore how educational and carceral institutions can work together to ensure student success.
In addition to sharing their experiences, panelists will dive into the following Best Practices::
- Creating a process so that transitioning students have access to personal documents such as a state ID, Social Security card, and birth certificate prior to release.
- Ensuring that students obtain copies of their transcripts and have PSEPs promptly respond to requests for official transcripts that come from other institutions.
- Offering clear information to transitioning students regarding California Community Colleges, California State Universities, and Universities of California enrollment and the transfer process.
- Providing access to affordable, on campus housing, financial aid services, and support.
- Facilitating connections and accessing networking opportunities with potential employers in their respective career interests.
- Offering community resources to provide information about employment and licensing barriers due to conviction while giving assistance to obtain legal advice, as needed, to better assist transitioning students’ pursuit of their careers.
KENIA MIRANDA VERDUGO
Program Manager, Smart Justice, Michelson 20MM
California’s Best Practices: Pathways From Prison, created by The Smart Justice Think Tank, provides a set of detailed strategies that stakeholders can implement to support students across three key phases of the carceral system-impacted student experience.